Alberton Hotel (formerly Shipwright’s Arms)
124 Port Road Alberton
As befits Port Adelaide’s oldest suburb, there has been a hotel on this location since at least 1841, when Robert Hayman was granted a General Publican’s Licence for the Shipwright’s Arms. Hotels provided travellers with food, drink and accommodation for themselves and their horses, as well as a venue for functions, meetings, inquests and land sales. The Shipwright’s Arms, rebuilt and extended to the design of architect Thomas English, reopened as the Alberton Hotel in December 1877.