Your income Tax deductible donation to the museum fund is much appreciated.
The Port Adelaide Historical Society preserves and protects the history of the Port Adelaide region and relies on the generosity of it’s members and friends to funds it’s work.
The Port Adelaide Historical Society Museum in addition to entry fees and proceeds from events; relies heavily on the donations to fund the expenses of maintaining the Port Adelaide Historical Society Museum.
The value of History
History shapes our identities, engages us as citizens, creates inclusive communities, is part of our economic well-being, teaches us to think critically and creatively, inspires leaders and is the foundation of our future generations.
- Identity: History nurtures identity in a world characterised by difference and change. History enables people to discover their own place in stories of families, communities, First Peoples and nations – individuals and groups who have shaped the world in which they live.
- Engaged citizens: History helps people craft solutions that meet community needs. At the heart of democracy are individual citizens who come together to
express views and take action.
- Strong communities: History lays the ground work for strong, diverse and inclusive communities that are vital places to live and work.
- Economic development: History is a catalyst for economic growth. People are drawn to communities with a strong sense of historical identity, material heritage and character.
- Critical skills: History teaches independent thinking and vital skills for the twenty-first century. Historical thinking requires critical approaches to evidence and argument and develops contextual understanding and historical perspective, encouraging meaningful engagement with concepts like causation and continuity, change and causation, and the ability to interpret and communicate complex ideas clearly and coherently.
- Leadership: History inspires leaders. It provides them with role models to meet complex challenges. Personal stories of leadership reveal how women and men met the challenges of their day and can give new leaders the courage and wisdom to confront the challenges of our time.
- Legacy: History is the foundation for future generations. It is crucial to our future because it explains our shared past. When we preserve authentic, meaningful and significant stories, places, documents, images and artefacts, we leave a foundation upon which future Australians can build.